Our Methamphetamine Decontamination System
Our Meth Decontamination Services ensure the most cost-effective balance between hazardous waste removal and decontamination cleaning.
Our Meth Lab Cleanup System has been developed in compliance with international and Australian standards and guidelines and industry best practice.
Our experienced, certified, professional and qualified decontamination contractors are trained experts in all aspects of meth decontamination.
Our Meth Lab Cleanup System is proven to be effective at removing high levels of methamphetamine residues without the requirement to remove structure including gyprock and other nonporous surfaces, thus to ensuring the property can be decontaminated faster and more cost-effectively than other methods.
Our Meth Lab Cleanup cleaning products do not use high levels of peroxide, are non-toxic, non-corrosive, bleach-free, phenol-free, environmentally friendly and do not leave a filmy residue or alcohol after smell.
All sampling and testing is carried out independently. We do not test our own decontamination projects. We have negotiated preferred rates for testing services, significantly reducing the cost and duration of our decontamination projects. We do not charge for failed clearance testing.**
While the type of hazard and level of risk posed in each situation is dependent on the level of Meth Lab contamination. Different contaminants and the levels of contamination are dependent on whether the site is a former Meth Lab or a methamphetamine contaminated user site, the length of time the property has been used as a clandestine laboratory or a methamphetamine user site, and in the case of a clandestine laboratory the production method used. It is important that an appropriate level of assessment and Meth Lab Cleanup or Meth Decontamination is undertaken to ensure the property is safe for future occupancy.
Remediation of a Meth Contaminated Property
After the discovery of Meth contamination in a property above 0.5μg/100cm². Not identified as former clandestine laboratory*
Stage 1 – Documentation & Safety
- Initial Site Assessment
- In-depth Room Sampling and Forensic Assessment (All sampling and testing is carried out by independent third-party testing contractors. We do not test our own decontamination projects)
- Environmental Management Plan provided by Environmental Hygienist. (If Required)
- Meth Lab Cleanup Remediation Action Plan (RAP) including Building Decontamination Management Plan (BDMP)
- Site Safety Analysis and Safe Work Method Statements (SWMS).
- Owner/Insurer Contract & Approvals.
Stage 2 – Site Induction & Make Safe
- Post Hazardous Area signage on all entrances to the property.
- Site Safety Induction.
- PPE Check.
- Install containment where necessary to minimize cross-contamination.
- Ventilate the property.
- Secure the property, locksmith to install or change locks where necessary.
- Electrician to isolate power to the property, excluding hot water service, and install an isolated power point at a secure external location.
- Plumber to cap off plumbing where necessary.
Stage 3 – Meth Lab Hazardous Waste Removal
Removal/Disposal of all porous materials, where necessary, may include:
- Carpets, linoleum, floating laminates.
- Blinds & curtains.
- Non-restorable contents.
- Contents and porous materials must be rendered unusable after removal.
Removal/Disposal of electrical items, where necessary, may include:
- Electrical fittings, switches, lights, ceiling fans.
- Ovens, refrigerators, and dryers.
- Air conditioning and ducting.
- Terminate all exposed wiring.
- Electrical items must be rendered unusable after removal.
Removal/Disposal of structural components, where necessary, may include:
- Structural components that are not cost-effective to remediate may be removed or cleaned and encapsulated. This may include cabinetry, internal doors, and skirting boards, ceiling linings, gyprock with wallpaper applied, timber trimming with gloss varnish, gyprock or timber with paint or other damage that may have allowed methamphetamine to penetrate.
- Structural components may be removed and disposed of where removal is required to gain entry to enclosed low access spaces. This may include roof cavities and crawl spaces.
- Structural components must be rendered unusable after removal.
Stage 4 – Decontamination Cleaning
- HEPA vacuum all surfaces. Dispose of pre-filter and HEPA primary filter and thoroughly clean HEPA vacuum and vacuum tools after use.
- Thorough prewash down of all surfaces using mild detergent (sugar soap). Scrub surfaces with microfibre scrubber pads and soft bristle brushes. Extract excess wash water from the floor.
- High volume foam application of decontamination solution to all surfaces using high volume foaming equipment. Lightly brush decontamination solution on all surfaces Immediately after application.
- High volume fog decontamination solution using high volume fogging equipment to ensure foam applied decontamination solution stays wet for a minimum of 4 hours, and our decontamination solution contacts all surfaces within the contaminated areas.
- If the property is excessively dirty or heavily contaminated, repeat step 3 prior to rinsing.
- Rinse and extract decontamination solution from surfaces using clean warm/hot water.
- Thoroughly rinse all equipment, hoses, and accessories with clean water after use.
- Flush plumbing system with clean water.
- Install drying equipment if necessary.
Stage 5 – Hazardous Waste Disposal
- Meth Lab Cleanup waste cannot be disposed of in regular landfills. Waste disposal must be carried out as per the instructions from a hazardous waste disposal contractor that is licensed by the EPA.
Stage 6 – Validation Testing & Validation Report
- Upon completion of the Meth Lab Cleanup, we provide a testing contractor or an environmental hygienist with a completion report for independent assessment.
- Independent assessment of our work verifies that we have completed the works outlined in our Meth Lab Cleanup Remediation Action Plan.
- If our Remediation Action Plan is verified as being completed and all validation test results are below 0.5 µg/100cm2 a Validation Report can be issued by the testing contractor or environmental hygienist.
- If any validation test results are above 0.5 µg/100cm2, any additional hazardous waste removal, decontamination cleaning and testing required to complete the validation is performed at no charge. **
- All sampling, testing is carried out by independent third-party contractors. We do not test or validate our own decontamination projects. We do not charge for failed validation testing.**
Stage 7 – Hand Over
- Upon a passing validation testing and being issued with an independent Post Remediation Validation Report, our Meth Lab Cleanup is complete
- We perform a final handover clean to ensure your property is clean and dry and ready for any reinstatement works.
*Remediation of a Meth Lab contaminated property that has suspected to have been or has been identified as former clandestine laboratory must be conducted as per an Environmental Management Plan that has been provided by an Environmental Hygienist. The Environmental Management Plan may include additional requirements for remediation of VOCs, soil, surface and groundwater, and septic systems.
**If our work is performed as per our Guaranteed Meth Lab Cleanup Remediation Action Plan you do not pay for failed validation tests. If we can not pass the validation test there will be no charge for our services. If the Meth Lab Cleanup Remediation Action Plan or Environmental Management Plan is provided by or is altered by a third party, we can not be held responsible for the plan or alteration. We work closely with third parties including your insurer and or environmental hygienists and will always seek agreement with all parties and amend our Remediation Action Plan and estimate accordingly.