What Methods are Considered Best Practice for Methamphetamine Decontamination?
The meth decontamination methods used to bring your property back up to a livable standard will probably depend on the extent of the meth use at the property and whether it was used simply for smoking the drug or as a lab to manufacture meth.
Meth labs require more remediation work than houses where the drug has simply been used, as the chemicals and toxins used in the manufacturing process may remain and the levels of meth and precursors are higher than most user sites.
In most cases, any soft furnishings like curtains and carpets need to be replaced, but it does not necessarily mean that the dwelling must be stripped back to the frame, i.e. kitchen, bathroom, gyprock & ceilings removed. There is no one method used for decontamination. Repeatable decontamination service providers use a combination or methods in order to achieve a result.
Remediation should be undertaken using the current best practice methods. Your decontamination contractor should use a consistent approach and intend to facilitate the most cost-effective balance between hazardous waste removal and decontamination cleaning.
Decontamination Methods Include:
- Required where contamination levels posse a significant risk to human health or the environment.
- Required where decontamination cleaning would not be possible or not cost effective.
- Required where decontamination cleaning has failed and encapsulation is not recommended.
- Triple wash down of contaminated surfaces using TSP (Trisodium Phosphate, Sugar Soap).
- Typically used for low levels of isolated residue (<5µg/100cm2).
Foam Fog Rinse Decontamination Systems
- Neutrasol Foam Fog Rinse Decontamination System is Recommended by DeconASSIST
- Neutrasol is designed to emulsify the meth so that it can be easily rinsed away.
- Neutrasol does not just attempt to change the meth to fool the test
- Neutrasol decontamination products exceed the requirements of international and Australian standards and guidelines. Neutrasol does not use high levels of peroxide, are non-toxic, non-corrosive, bleach-free, phenol-free, environmentally friendly and do not leave a filmy residue or alcohol after smell.
- We recommend the Neutrasol System as it has proven to be the most effective at removing high levels of methamphetamine residues without removal of structure, including gyprock and other nonporous surfaces and often, repainting is avoided, thus enabling the property to be decontaminated faster and more cost-effectively than other methods.
- Encapsulation is only recommended for structural components such as bearers and joists.
- Encapsulation should only be considered after cleaning attempts have been effectively exhausted and levels of contamination are not likely to be reduced by further cleaning.